Complaints or Concerns
Students who have a general complaint or concern about an academic matter may make an appointment with the Assistant Provost or Dean of Students by contacting the Administrative Assistant, as described under Contact Person. For first level petitions or appeals, students must follow the procedures outlined in the rows below. Questions about which processes apply should be directed to the Contact Person or the OneStop help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Academic, Disability, or Financial Aid Issues
- Assistant Provost for Academic Administration
- Contact the Administrative Assistant to the Assistant Provost at 828.258.7674
Other Non-Academic Issues
- Dean of Students
- Contact the Administrative Assistant to the Dean of Students: 828.250.2370
Grade or Instructor Grievance
- Contact the Faculty Conciliator to make an appointment. For more information, see the Catalog Appendix.
- The Conciliator must be contacted within 10 days of the incident, or the time that the student could reasonably have been made aware of the incident.
A hearing is scheduled and the student meets with the Residency Appeals Committee. If residency is denied, the student may appeal to the State Residency Committee as described in the letter of denial.
- Residency Appeal Committee
- Contact the Administrative Assistant to the Assistant Provost at 828.258.7674 or email Lisa Thickitt at email@example.com.
Exception, Substitution or Exemption
Petition for Exception, Substitution or Exemption must be complete with description of request and supporting documentation. Appropriate contact by Associate Registrar is made with department for decision on major requirements; no denials are made without consent of department. Registrar reviews exceptions to policies [e.g. permission to visit, residency requirement, etc.] as appropriate and in consultation with transfer evaluator and/or Associate Registrar as needed. In all cases, student is emailed results of petitions to UNC Asheville email by the appropriate contact person.
Departments for Major Requirement Issues [*Deans consulted as needed*]
Contact the Associate Registrar at 828.251.6503 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registrar for Policy Exceptions [*Assistant Provost consulted as needed*]
Contact the Registrar’s Office.
Tuition Surcharge Waiver Requests
Petition to waive tuition surcharge must be complete with required documentation; submitted to surcharge contact in Registrars Office who gives to Registrar; student is emailed results of request to UNC Asheville email by the Committee Administrative Assistant.
Administrative Exception and Tuition Surcharge Waiver Committee
Contact the Registrar.
Enrollment Exceptions (Late Adds/Drops)
Petition for Enrollment Exceptions must be submitted to Assistant Director for Academic Programs to enter into shared spreadsheet; when complete with required documentation, petition is placed in file for review by committee; student is emailed results of petition to UNC Asheville email by Assistant Director for Academic Programs.
- Assistant Provost in collaboration with Registrar
- Contact the Assistant Provost or Assistant Director for Academic Programs
Appeals of Academic Suspension/Dismissal
Appeals of Academic Suspension/Dismissal must be submitted by stated deadlines with supporting documentation; completed appeals are placed in file for review by committee; student is emailed results of appeal to UNC Asheville email by the Registrar.
- Enrollment Services Committee
- Contact the Registrar
Administrative Exceptions (Financial)
Petition submitted to Bursar who ensures completion and documentation as needed; when complete, petition is placed in file for review by committee; student is emailed results to UNC Asheville email by the Committee Admin Assistant
- Admin Exception and Tuition Surcharge Waiver Committee
- Contact the Bursar
Diversity Intensive Requirement
The Petition for Substitution of a Course for the Diversity Intensive Requirement form must be submitted to the Associate Registrar with the supporting documentation noted on the form. Appropriate contact is made with committee for decision; no denials are made without consent of the committee; student is emailed results of petition to UNC Asheville email by the Associate Registrar.
- Contact: Varies – either Associate Registrar or the Diversity Intensive coordinators